KEEP HOUSEHOLD PETS SAFE FROM ‘THE BEAST FROM THE EAST’Emma Doheny
Feb 27, 2018
PET PARENTS URGED TO KEEP HOUSEHOLD PETS SAFE FROM ‘THE BEAST FROM THE EAST’
Ahead of the arrival of Storm Emma, dubbed the ‘Beast from the East’, Petmania, Ireland’s leading specialist pet retailer store are urging pet parents to take the necessary precautions for their animal friends.
With temperatures set to plummet over the coming days, here are their top five tips that all Pet owners can easily put into place.
– If you don’t have a shed to move your pets kennel into, then consider housing them indoors to ensure they are kept safe from the cold temperatures. This is particularly true for cats. You can also use extra bedding for insulation, such as straw and hay in their sleeping areas.
– Combine fashion and function and wrap up canine friends with dog coats for extra warmth.
– Make sure they have plenty of fresh water and food, pets might also need a little extra food as they will be burning energy to stay warm. Keep a check to ensure that water supplies do not freeze over. If your pet is feeding outside, use plastic bowls instead of metal to prevent their tongues getting stuck if it is too cold.
– Similarly to humans, dogs and cats can get frost bite! Pay extra attention to any signs of discolouration, pain or unusual blisters on their ears and paws.
– Finally, don’t forget about your garden birds who would appreciate some high fat foods like peanuts to boost their energy reserves.